Monday, September 10, 2007

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming

So, I did most of my reading last night before bed! So I didn't get to bed until midnight which means . . . no running. Yesterday my plan was to run about 5 miles through forest park, but for some reason, these past few days have been very tiring. I'm not sure if it's lack of sleep (it hasn't changed that dramatically) or what I'm eating, so I gotta start to focus on that as well. I'm hoping once I get home, I can go for a 3 mile run before I made dinner, shower, and head out to see a concert at 8pm.

Kite Runner. Wow. I feel like I hiked up a hill and am rolling down it fast. The first half of the book was good, a lot of information and a lot of background. But once Amir has grown up, things start to roll. I know fiction is based on some truths, just not specific ones and what I read in this book is scary and saddening. I hope to not sound ignorant. I try and be as open minded to different cultures because I have grown up in one different than the one I have been raised and have been trying (successfully now that I'm older) to merge the two. I understand that ignorance can lead to fear, which can lead to violence (thankfully, nothing I have ever experienced.) Living in the US has giving me a chance to feel safe, have a cushion and be proud of how I was raised and my beliefs. I'm sure I'm not making any sense right now, but what I'm trying to say is how horrible it must feel to live in a place you do not believe in, or return to a home you no longer recognized. There are a few passages in the book that I liked, specifically those of when Amir returns to Afghanistan for the first time since he's left. I'll try to find those in later entries.
That was the bulk of what I was reading last night. I could not put the book down. I wanted to know more, what was going to happen and still I am not satisfied because I made myself go to sleep!

So today, I will try to budget my time so that I can fit in a bit of running before I head out. My "intermediate" 5k training is not going so well, but I hope that once I see my trainer on Thursday, and I'll get on the ball and "just keep swimming, just keeps swimming . . . "

*****

On a super side note, my copy of Finding Nemo has been located. It's one of my favorite movies, one that I can pop in when I'm feeling sad and just smile. So finally, I have it at home and I plan on watching it very soon!

No comments: