Thursday, June 23, 2011

Father's Day: Extra Special Edition

This was the first year in over 40 years that my mom was NOT here for my dad's father's day. She was in Mexico tending to her sick mom and was flying in that night. Trying not to miss a beat, I decided to invite my dad out for dessert/breakfast. Not to make my brother feel left out, I told him he could join us ;)

After much thought I decided to take Pop to the Waffle Window off of SE Hawthorne. I'd been there once with a friend and I was so impressed, I knew I had to take my dad.

I was hoping to get there early and avoid whatever line there might have been. I figured it was Sunday so people were at church, or perhaps local transplants didn't have their parents here so they wouldn't be out? Wishful thinking I suppose :)

Well, there was a crowd but it wasn't that bad, thankfully. After a bit of a wait, we finally got our delicious waffles. I opted with the Nutella and Fresh Banana, Pop got the Spring Fling which included: sliced strawberries, rhubarb sauce, coconut panna cotta, whipped cream, cinnamon sugar and shredded coconut while Renato opted for something savory, the The Spicy Bacon Cheddar Jalapeno Waffle, pretty self explanatory.





Afterward, we decided to meander down Hawthorne a bit. Pop wanted "un taquito" to qwell his savory tooth and we happened upon a Mexican food cart inside a bus:



It was pretty typical, since it had a TV inside blaring soccer.



But this is an extra special Father's day. I'm a fan of The Portland Timbers MLS team here in Oregon. My brother has season tickets. Last week on Facebook, they announced a contest for the Best Timbers Dad. I emailed my brother and told him how I was going to submit, he asked if he could do it too. I said sure, it's for Pop anyway.

Today the announced the 5 finalists. My essay may not have been chosen, but my dad has! My brother's essay got my dad as one of the finalists. If you happen to be on FB, could you please like my dad's entry? All you have to do is "like" the Timbers, then "like" my dad's entry. It's that simple. Just go here.

I totally understand doing that stuff is weird with the whole internet thing so I won't be offended if you'd rather keep your privacy.

Anyway, whether my father wins or not...He was a finalist and people got to read his story.

Go Pop!

No comments: