Thursday, July 10, 2008

Summer

It's summer time here in beautiful Portland, Oregon. The sun is shining, people are smiling and the fans are humming.

I HATE FANS

I've had a fear, then hate of fans dating back to when I was a child. You see, my parents instilled in us many superstitions while growing up. Being the timid, gullible child that I was, I believed them all:

* Don't put your purse on the floor, you'll loose money.
* Don't go barefoot, you'll get sick.
* Don't go outside after a shower, you'll get sick.
* Wear a coat on your back, you don't want to get bad wind (mal aire)
* Don't stare at that baby too long without touching it, you'll give it evil eye (ojo)
*Now you have ojo, let me wipe you with an egg.
* Don't have a plant in your room, they will suck all the oxygen while you sleep and you'll die.
* Don't sleep with a fan on: YOU'LL DIE.

Not only did I grow up in a very superstitious house hold, I also grew up in one where there was much order. I don't think it was as anal as how I lead my life now, but there was routine in all that we did. So now that I'm older, there are certain things I need to do to sleep well, to feel at ease, etc. When I make dinner, I have to wash the dishes before I sit down to watch tv. Isaiah has helped me relax a bit with this, but at the same time, I still have to get up the next day and do dishes, when if I'd done them when I wanted to, I'd be done.
The second thing is sleeping with darkness, tucked in sheets and NO SOUND. Nope, not even the hum of a damn fan. At my previous apartment, that was a major deal breaker for wondering whether I should move or not. Even though the decision came in March, during the dead of spring, I remember what a HORRIBLE time I had in that apartment during the summer. Not because of the heat, but because of my downstairs neighbor's fan. Seriously, it sounded like a washer and dryer. But no, it was her ceiling fan, which means, my floor. So to cover up that sound, I had to turn on my fan (remember the silence part) and just have that on and it was irritating. Not only do I not like the sound, I'd get cold at night, so I had to point it away from myself at night. So I just needed the noise, which I hate! I tried ear plugs but they kept popping out.
So, this is my first summer at the new place and I'm almost having the same problem, just not as severe. I believe my downstairs neighbor might have an air conditioning unit at her window. I can hear the hum. It wasn't there last week and she just moved in this past weekend, you draw your conclusions, so as predicted, I had to turn on my fan just to drown out the sound.

Have I mentioned I'm a baby?

Yeah, so as much as I love summer for its long walks, and late days, I absolutely hate fans (and air conditioner units. YOU'LL DIE)!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

hahah I was always wondering why fans annoyed you so much. Just pretend its something else, like a pretty running stream in the woods :)