Thursday, September 17, 2009

Eat Pray Love

I've gotten back into reading again, I can say happily. These last three weeks I've devoured books. I was in a "fiction" mood so that's all I've wanted. I read The Memory Keeper's Daughter and was reintroduced into why I love good fiction. The Sugar Queen, and Garden Spells and it too reminded me of why I love magical realism. Ah, sweet sweet fiction. So I was surprised as to why I decided to pick up Eat, Pray, Love after being in such a fictionous state (yeah, I just made it up, so what!) Eat, Pray, Love is a memoir of a woman who'd traveled to Italy, India and Indonesia after a horrible divorce. It was CERTAINLY not something I wanted to read at all and I just wanted either heavy FICTION or light and fluffy, with meaning. I found that in those previous three books I mentioned. But something made me open up EPL and I am forever thankful.

I'm not good with expressing myself with the written word. I'm an extremely emotional person, so I have a hard time articulating my thoughts and my feelings verbally or written. Not until I picked up EPL did I finally see much of what I was thinking, feeling and believing on a written page. I don't mean to say that I'm exactly like the protagonist, because I'm not, but her experiences, more her feelings, really reflect much of what I was feeling a few months back and have dripped into my present life. I have a reason to believe that this book came into my life for a reason, right place and right time.

And that's just what I choose.

(note, this was written a while back, yikes!)

No comments: