Monday, March 31, 2008

Flags of our Fathers by James Bradley



Two entries in one day? Oh yeah!

So, after a disappointing turn at some funny non-fiction, I thought I'd go back to my roots: my love for history. I love US history not quite sure why, but it was always my favorite subject in school. It is a bit hard for me to get into dry history books, but no matter what, I always enjoy reading them. I think it all depends on the style of writing. It's no mystery that this book became a movie directed my Clint Eastwood. I'm a movie junkie, but never been a war junkie, especially not of Vietnam. I think I got traumatized by it because my brother was obsessed with it when I was little and since he was my main babysitter and I wanted to hang out with him, we'd watch Vietnam specials n HBO. Seriously, a 6 year old should not be watching that. To this day, I cannot watch a Vietnam-based movie. The closest I came to was Dead Presidents, and that was for a school assignment, not by choice. Oh right, and Forest Gump.

I'm only chapter two into this book and so far so good. It reads more like a memoir than a history book and for that I appreciate it. I look forward to watching the movie because I think Clint Eastwood is a fantastic director and I know he will do it justice. Afterward, I'll watch Letters from Iwo Jima. Again, these are things I've been meaning to catch up on. There are so many stories that have not yet been told hin our history, I look forward to reading this one.

No comments: